I Just HAD to Have This Hat
May 18, 2009 Leave a comment
While visiting the University Street Fair, I noticed the unusual May sun building to a bit more heat on my pate than I’d have liked .. having just sunburned there whilst overseas a few months back (generating dandruff-type leavings that clogged my keyboard), I thought it best to cover up.
I started looking around for a frugally-priced baseball cap (well, there is an economic ‘reset’ going on) .. I would have accepted something emblazoned with the word “Mariners”.
Then I passed the stand with these .. looked at one price and kept walking.
On the way back, I passed the stand again. Picked one up, held it over my head and looked in the mirror.
I put it back and kept walking.
I actually backtracked after a half-block, returning to the stand. I asked for help to find the right size. The vendor obliged, going to the trouble to find the hat with just the right tilt for “attitude” (like I need any more of that).
Had to have it.
I was briefed: “never pinch” and “always handle the hat by the brim”.
Sending some snaps around, I was able to collect the most fun comments:
- “You’re finally old enough to wear that”.
- “You remind me of my dad” .. and “You look like a dad” (the latter from my son, no less).
- “Pimping” (the woman who cut my hair shortly after the purchase). Piece of work, that one.
- “Just tell them your Jerrold” (one of the snaps was in front of a Subway sign .. I fixed the exposure on one of the images for this post, intended to remove that bit of the corporate-ness of the other image.
- “Dapper” (talking to myself on the walk back home .. followed by “damn it”).
What do you think? Don’t be shy: I need a way to ensure I’ll stay humble.